The Facilities Manager is responsible for the safety, maintenance, appearance and functionality and tools and systems within the ADX facility. The Facilities Manager manages the day to day operations and maintains a safe and efficient work environment. The Facilities Manager oversees major projects relating to the building and grounds and provides technical knowledge and leadership for the facility operations at the ADX Makerspace and surrounding grounds. The Facilities Manager is responsible for providing leadership to ADX Working Members during their weekly shift and working with staff to identify cleaning needs and special projects to be delegated to Working Members.
- Report to the General Manager and works closely with other ADX managers.
- Responsible for the monitoring of all essential building systems to ensure systems are operating correctly and efficiently. Such systems include (but are not limited to) electrical, mechanical, security, fire suppression and plumbing, heating and air conditioning systems.
- Manage and prioritize the maintenance and repair needs of the Makerspace.
- Directly or through supervision of workers or external vendors complete all necessary painting, structural repairs to masonry, woodwork, and furnishings of building, cleaning of common spaces and offices, and maintenance of the grounds.
- Maintain inventory and identify necessary tools, shop consumables, equipment, and building and maintenance supplies.
- Work with ADX staff and Working Members to provide information, advice and recommendations to solve problems and address facility related concerns.
- Responsible for the creation, implementation and upkeep of Standard Operating
- Procedures for shop tools throughout the facility.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and provides facility updates.
- Assist in the development and management of Facilities budget.
- Communicate with ADX management and membership about emerging maintenance issues in a timely fashion.
- Analyze and oversee resolutions of facility problems.
Safety and Security
- Responsible for the monitoring of all life safety systems to assure systems are operating correctly and efficiently (fire extinguishers, first aid stations, disaster response plans, etc).
- Responsible for the monitoring of all security systems for functionality.
- Works with the Membership Manager to hire, train, and direct Working Members.
- Motivate Working Members to achieve goals through supervision, coaching, goal setting, and training.
- Works with Membership Manager to review and evaluate performance of Working Members.
- Remains accountable for positive client service and accurate record keeping.
- Associate’s degree in a related field or journeyman’s card or high school diploma/equivalency plus related training and 2 years’ experience in addition to qualifications below.
- 2 years’ supervisory/management experience.
- Ability to effectively work with diverse populations.
- Proven experience in facilities management, including experience in overseeing contractors and vendors.
- Proven experience managing budgets and purchasing.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to the mission, vision and values of ADX.
- Ability to handle crises appropriately.
- Excellent customer service skills and a commitment to high quality customer service.
- Ability to successfully manage different projects at once and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced a fast paced and high-pressure work environment.
- Must be able to learn, mandate and supervise cleaning, maintenance and use methods and protocols for a wide range of tools and systems.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Must be able to work safely in an environment containing caustic chemicals, cleaning materials, dust and noise. Must be able to operate heavy machinery.
- Possess knowledge and experience with building and fire codes, OSHA regulations, fire alarm systems and associated fire safety systems.
- Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting items up to 70 pounds unassisted, bending, standing, climbing and walking.
- Valid state -issued driver’s license, proof of vehicle insurance, access to a vehicle during work hours.
- $15/hr to start. Full time: total of 40 hours over 5 days per week. Majority of hours will be scheduled 9am-6pm M-F; must be available to work one weekend shift per week.
- Benefits include monthly Unlimited membership to the ADX Makerspace and deeply discounted classes.